After a long hiatus, its time to stir things up a bit on Fun and Food, so I'm proud to host this month's edition of Bread Baking Day! BBD#18 will be fun and challenging, as always, but just to cut you some slack, we choose to have a theme which can accommodate more participants, be they established bread-bakers, or novices trying out their baking skills! so this month, the theme is Quick Breads, which means plenty of sweet and savory options to choose for breakfast, appetizers or sides. But NO, quick breads does NOT MEAN cakes & brownies. So take a moment to check out the rules below:
BBD is a popular food-blog event that was started by Zorra of Kochtopf, and has traveled through many hosts and themes. The last edition hosted by Lien featured Breads with Potatoes. This time, we choose Quick Breads, something that is less fussy, and more fun!
"Quick Breads", as the name suggests, entails the use of chemical leavening agents like baking powder, baking soda or cream-of-tartar instead of Yeast, so that there is no time wasted on fermentation and kneading like traditional breads, and hence can be made "quickly". So keep in mind these rules before sending in your entries.
Rules for Participation:
1. You can make any sweet or savory bread, be it with fruits, grains, cheese, herbs, nuts or just plain, and you can use any kind of base flour that you like.
2. You can use pre-made bread flour, or other simple leavening agents like baking powder/soda/cream-of-tartar instead of yeast; you can even use ready-made bread/loaf mixes that can be used in bread machines, or bake it traditionally in your ovens.
3. Please DO NOT send in cakes or brownies as entries. These will not be accepted for this category. However, any of the recipes described below are allowed.
4. Quick Breads include Muffins, Fruit/Nut Breads, Biscuits, Scones, Popovers, Coffee-cakes, Crepes, Pancakes, Waffles and other similar breads and loaves.
5. As this is a vegetarian blog, please restrict to vegetarian recipes, which means NO MEAT or SEAFOOD; eggs and cheese are allowed.
6. Send your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line BBD#18, and please include a link back to this announcement or homepage. Please send your entries in English only, or with a link to the page which has English translation on your blog. Re-size your pictures to 200x200px. The deadline for sending in your entries is April 1st 2009.
7. Archived posts are allowed, but only if they are republished during the event period. Also, maximum 2 entries are allowed per blog.
Many people think Quick Breads have to be sweet; that is not the case - cheese, herbs, vegetables, grains, nuts, beer bread are all examples of savory quick breads. Use your imagination and flavor to bake something unique, be it sweet, savory or spicy!
For more ideas and recipes, check out these cool links:
Savory Quick Breads
Quick Bread Recipes - Joy of Baking
Exotic Quick Bread Recipes
So what are you waiting for? This one should be simple, and outright fun, for home-cooks and chiseled cooks alike! Get your hands dirty with some flour and turn on your ovens, for its time to bake some delicious Quick Breads! I look forward to all your wonderful entries!